Tuesday 5 June 2012

South Indian Soft Idlis





i cant believe this. Me idlies..... making from scratch and eating too.....  i am i dreaming .....nooo.....i think my family is not going to believe this especially my Sis and Bro. I am the first one to run away and throw tantrums listening to the word idlies.
Even though it was a regular thing that was made twice or thrice a week for breakfast, evening tiffin and dinner from my childhood at home i never liked them. My mom used to have so much problems with me she used to make dosa for me when ever she made idlies.
 Believe me she used to make such sponge like idlies which used to melt in mouth. I think even though my mom never cursed me, but i was punished for making her run after me and not eating her nice and soft idlies.  Once i started working and stayed in a hostel i was served idles for dinner twice a week  and let me tell you the idlies are not soft at all but i had no other go...But to eat them...:(

Now i make idlies regularly....... and eat them too....Things change and me too i think....ha ha....
I used to grind the idlie batter in wet grinder but this time used my sumeet mixie to make them. Believe me the idlies came out nice and soft.Time consumption in grinding the batter is very less compared to using wet grinder. Let's see how to make this mouth watering idlies and Spicy tomato Onion chutney
Ingredients:-
Urad Dal - 1 1/3 Cup(Split ones)
Boiled Rice - 2 Cups
Raw Rice - 1 Cup
Poha/aval - 2 cups
Salt to taste
Sodium Bicarbonate/Cooking soda - 1 Tsp
Method:-
1.Soak Boiled rice and raw rice together and urad dal separately for 6 to 8 hours. i soaked them over night.
2.In the morning soak Poha in Sufficient water for 1 hour.
3. In a mixie first grind the Urad dal by pouring little bit of ice/Cold water  in between now and then. Care should be taken not to make the mixie Hot.
4. Grind Urad dal switching mixie on and off every 2 Min's. Grind it until it becomes soft like butter.
5. Remove it and keep it in a large bowl.
6. Grind Rice and poha together until it forms a batter.
7. Add it to the bowl which contains  already ground urad dal batter.
8.Add salt. Mix sodium Bicarbonate in 3 tsp  of hot water and add it to the batter.
9. Mix well and keep it to ferment for 6 to 8 hours.

10. Batter will nicely ferment and rise double the quantity.

11. Mix it well. Idli/Dosa batter is ready to use.

12. Grease the idli plates with a drop of oil.
13. Pour the batter on the plates and set it in idli cooker.




14. Cook it for 15 min until whistle comes.
15. switch off the stove and let it cool a little bit.
16. Sprinkle little bit water on the idli plates and remove the idlies into a bowl.



 17. Hot and very soft idlies are ready to eat with Spicy Tomato onion Chutney and Idli Molagapodi/chilli powder.

Note:- Sending this recipe to cook up a meal under 30 min by Srivalli Meal under 30 min

2 comments:

  1. I asked perima when I visited last for her recipe...it was so so so soft and spongy. Yet to make her recipe which I think would be same as yours....will be grinding up some fresh batter soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha yes da...my moms(perima)recipe only...you can grind it in mixie itself...comes out very well....only two cups of aval i added extra....try it will come out nicely...

    ReplyDelete